Friday, November 7, 2008

Under New Leadership

With the talk of a new presidency, new leadership, and change to come, it got me thinking. Basically, my experience so far in this life has shown me that the world values things like "making it to the top," & "being in charge." Be a leader, not a follower. Things like that.

I'm not disputing that leadership is important and "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" is no way to run a company or whatever. BUT, the kingdom I live in doesn't work like that. So, I ponder, what does it mean to follow. Have I allowed the world's standard to invade my thinking and give that word a negative connotation?

Actually, I was listening to some teaching and realized that my current struggles were born out of the fact that I want to drag God with me wherever I want to go, instead of follow his lead. Gee, sounds to me like that will cause some definite tension. I knew something wasn't right, but I hadn't put my finger on it.

I'm coming to realize that following is really what I've wanted all along. I don't have to have all the answers or always know what to do. I simply follow.

Some thoughts from the passage in John 10 about the Good Shepherd:

"After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. They won't follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don't know his voice." ".......Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

follow: To go after or behind; to walk, ride, or move behind, but in the same direction. To be guided by someone or something.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

The thing in that verse that jumps out to me is, "They will come and go freely" as in no, limitations imposed upon them. Oh how I long to walk in freedom! I'm getting there. I know I've been mia this week, but it has been a good (but hard) week for me. I cannot wait for Thursday!! I'll call you sometime this weekend and we'll work out the details.

Anonymous said...

When reading this verse I'm reminded that it's by hearing his voice (reading the Word) over and over that we come to "know" his voice.

Tom & Angela said...

Okay are you ready for my mental "picture"? I am an intelligent person but I do have to think about most things. Most of the time I "should" think before I speak. Unlike Tricia. This morning I was out jogging. As I am jogging I am pleading to hear from God. I told Him I am anxiously waiting to hear from Him, I want to hear whatever he has to say. So as I am panting jogging by myself and telling myself keep going. Talk to God more, wait. Follow His leading, he will tell you something. As I am following I am asking is this enough today? Can I be done? I am asking God these questions. I am following. I am tired, sweating, bored, doubting...How far are you willing to folloiw Him before you hear. I didn't come to this full knowledge until 4 miles. Had I given up on 3 I wouldn't have heard all He wanted to tell me. I had to be willing to wait, to follow without knowing what I was waiting for or following for. He told the disciples, follow me. He didn't tell them where to or for how long. All this to say keep following, thank Him for showing you at times His leading. Okay I give it up, I am not as good as Tricia! Argh...
I am off to "think" about having a heart to learn, maybe I'll ask the boys what they think that is???

Anonymous said...

Angela, thank God you're not like me. Who needs another me?? We need YOU! I think your jogging encounter was an AWESOME example. Thanks for opening up and sharing that experience with us. Listening to something we can't see or touch isn't "natural" and definitely involves awkward moments, silence, and waiting. You're on it, girl!!!!

Trish