Monday, October 27, 2008

Old Friends, Great Perspectives

I had the pure joy of spending the weekend with some dear, long-time friends of mine. My girlfriend from elementary school married my husband's childhood friend and now they have three beautiful kids to show for it :-) These friends are my "fun" friends. We see each other about once per year and we laugh constantly for 2 straight days. I always feel about 18 years old when we're together. That is, until one of the 7 little kids runs in the room and interrupts my "flashback" fantasy world.

My girlfriend is going through some rough times. She just got "let go" from her awesome part-time job because of company cut backs. I listened to her fears and did the best I could to love on her. At one point she was showing me some recent family photos that were taken of her entire in-law side of the family. We were oooing and ahhing over how great they were and then she made a profound comment. She said, "They're just such an awesome family. They are always right there to help, whenever there is a need.........no matter what."

I've been pondering that ever since we got home. What an incredible sense of "family." What a gift..........to be loved and to know that love. To be scared but know that there will always be someone there that's got your back. In the midst of her struggles, this reality brings her comfort. She has experienced the beauty of real family.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have to be careful how I react when I read things like that. My immediate thought is, "Good for them, but what about me?" When a strong sense of family is not there for you, what do you do?

Well, I have found in times of need, God always supplies. Be it a "mom's" hug and words of wisdom, a "dad's" strength and know-how, or a "sister's" unconditional friendship. These things can be found when you have strong relationships with people whether they be blood relations or not.

Tom & Angela said...

Lisa I so agree, you said that very well :o) Darn I don't have those smiley emotions things here...

Anonymous said...

The part of the post that I left out was the pain I felt in my own heart as I was writing.... So Lisa, I totally catch your drift. Thankfully, the spiritual and biological families are BOTH designed to be a reflection of God's loyalty, love, compassion, etc. Thank God it can come from both, eh??? I'm forever in awe of God's true love when I see it active and alive amongst believers or blood relatives. It is His refection, His design, His love in action. It is a powerful force and greatly cherished. I would even say, priceless.
What great discussion :-))