Monday, December 1, 2008

C-O-L-D

Snow is just so fun..... at least the first few times it arrives anyway :-) The kids were begging to go out from the moment they discovered it this morning. We made it through our morning lessons pretty well and then it was off to shovel the drive way and romp around in the snow. After more pleading and begging, we made an impromptu visit to the nearest sledding hill. It was the best kind of hill ever.... an EMPTY hill :-)

We trudged through the snow with 4 children in tow, two of them wearing very tight snow suits from last year and one of them without proper boots. Oh man, it was SO fun! The kids were hilarious to say the least. Jenna and I were dragging up the rear on the initial climb up the ginormous hill when she inquired, "Mommy, why can't we just sled UP?" I, of course, did my motherly duty and promptly explained gravity. Ironically enough, Seth asked the same question of his brother, Zach when they were at the bottom of the hill. You see, Seth was thrilled on the way DOWN the hill, but as soon as he "landed' and discovered he had to RE-climb the monstrous incline, he cried and begged for a ride "up." Sledding up seemed like a logical solution to him. There's just something about a tiny kid all bundled up in snow gear with crocodile tears flying out of his eyes that makes me melt.

I assure you that my heart was the only thing melting. The wind was whipping on top of that slope and it was still snowing. We made it about 45 minutes until my feet felt like ice blocks and everyone's gloves were soaking wet. All in all, it was a successful first sledding run. Before we go out again, we need 2 snowsuits, 2 pairs of boots and 2 more sleds. Those darn kids are always growing!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You are the best mom ever! I'm such a wimp about cold. I can honestly say I can't remember ever taking the girls sledding. That's for dads who can handle it,(and really awesome moms!)

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking about you when I was out there, Lisa... because I know you HATE being cold. I can't handle it for very long, that's why I was glad Craig was with us!
Thks for the compliment, though... I'll take those anytime :-)

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I KNOW my bigger boys would LOVE to go sledding but I haven't taken them yet. I used to love it when I was a kid!